Examination overview and details
Local Plan Examination Overview
The Chiltern and South Local Plan was submitted on 26 September 2019. Planning Inspectors Matthew Birkinshaw BA(Hons) MSC MRTPI and David Troy BSc(Hons) MA MRTPI have been appointed to undertake an independent examination into the soundness of the Chiltern and South Bucks Local Plan 2016 - 2036.
The Independent inspectors' task is to consider the soundness of the submitted plan, based on the criteria set out in paragraph 35 of the National Planning Policy Framework 2019 (NPPF).
The relevant soundness criteria are:
- Positively prepared - the plan should provide a strategy which, as a minimum, seeks to meet the area's objectively assessed needs; and is informed by agreements with other authorities, so that unmet need from neighbouring areas is accommodated where it is practical to do so and is consistent with achieving sustainable development
- Justified - the plan should present the most appropriate strategy when considered against the reasonable alternatives, based on proportionate evidence.
- Effective - the plan should be deliverable over the plan period and based on effective joint working on cross-boundary strategic matters that have been dealt with rather than deferred, as evidenced by the statement of common ground.
- Consistent with national policy - the plan should enable the delivery of sustainable development in accordance with the policies in the Framework.
- The Inspectors will take into account the representations submitted upon the Draft Plan as far as they relate to soundness considerations. A number of informal debates are likely to take place on the principal matters identified by the Inspectors these are termed Hearing Sessions.
- At the end of the Examination, the Inspectors will prepare a report to the Council with precise recommendations, these recommendations may include modifications to the Plan, if such a request is made by the Council.
Guidance Notes will be prepared by the Inspectors to help people understand the process and will be available here in due course. Any queries people may have regarding the Examination process should be directed to the Programme Officer who will be happy to assist.
The Programme Officer, Ian Kemp, will act as the contact for any person who has an interest in the Examination and as a liaison between the Inspectors, Council and Representors.
He is an independent Officer of the Examination and works on behalf of the Inspectors to organise and manage the administrative and procedural elements of the Examination process. All statements will also be submitted through him.
Any matters that anyone wishes to raise with the Inspector should be submitted via the Programme Officer
PO Box 241
Tel: 07723 009166
Mr Kemp will be contacting all Representors with details of the Examination process in due course.
Hearing Sessions Venue and Timetable
A Programme for the Hearing Sessions together with Venue details and matters to be discussed will appear here once finalised.
Evidence Base Documents
In preparing the Plan the Council both refer to and were informed by a number of documents that together form the 'Evidence Base' for the Examination. These documents can be accessed through the link below.
Local Plan Examination