Freedom of Information requests

Under the Freedom of Information Act 2000, you have the right of access to recorded information held by public authorities such as Chiltern District Council.  Personal information held by the Council us covered by the Data Protection Act 2018.

The Environmental Information Regulations 2004 gives right of access to information held that relates specifically to the Environment. 

The Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) has a guide on how to access information from a public body.

Check our website

Before making a request for information, please check our website for our publication scheme and transparency pages to make sure it isn't already there.   You can also search the website to see if the information you want is already available.  

Previously answered requests have been published to our Disclosure Log , starting from April 2019.

Some types of information are not held by us, but by Buckinghamshire County Council, including information on highways, libraries, household waste sites, public health, social care, schools and trading standards. 

FOI Requests must be made in writing

Your request must include:

  • the name of the person requesting the information
  • an address for correspondence (a phone number or email address is also useful if we need to clarify your request)
  • a description of the information required

Your request does not have to mention the legislation, and you do not have to tell us why you want the information, but the more details you can give, the more effective we can be in providing the information you require.

The quickest and easiest way to make a request is online, using our form.

However, you can also email

Or you can write to:

The Freedom of Information Officer, Chiltern District Council, King George V House, King George V Road, Amersham, Bucks HP6 5AW

If you have made a request you will receive an acknowledgement and your request should be answered within 20 working days, although in certain circumstances we are allowed to take longer to respond.

If you need any assistance please contact

Requesting a review

If you are unhappy with the service you have received in relation to your request and wish to make a complaint or request a review of our decision, please contact us

If you are not content with the outcome your complaint, you may apply directly to the Information Commissioner for a decision.  Generally, the ICO cannot make a decision unless you have exhausted the internal review procedure provided by Chiltern District Council.

The Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) is the UK's independent authority set up to promote access to official information and protect personal information by promoting good practice, ruling on eligible complaints, providing information to individuals and organisations, and taking appropriate action when the law is broken. However it is important to note that the Commissioner will only consider complaints when the complainant has exhausted the complaints route of the organisation that they have requested information from.

Please contact:

The Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF.  More information is available on their website