We can only take legal action to stop or prevent noise where it is of a type and level that is considered to be a 'statutory nuisance'.

To be considered a statutory nuisance a noise has to have occurred more than once, directly affects you in your property and is typically prolonged when it happens. Before taking any action you should consider:

  • is the noise 'reasonable'
  • the time of day it occurs
  • how long it lasts
  • is it a regular or frequent occurrence

If you feel comfortable to do so, it is often better to try and resolve the problem informally by speaking to the people causing you the problems.

Writing a letter to either a house or business that's causing noise can also resolve the problem, you could use one of our TEMPLATE LETTERS.

Icon for word Residential Noise Issues - Initial noise neighbour letter [22.5KB]

Icon for word Residential Noise Issues - Business noise letter [24KB]

Icon for word Residential Noise Issues - Construction noise letter [23.5KB]

Icon for word Residential Noise Issues -Follow up noise neighbour letter [26KB]

Icon for word Residential Noise Issues - Licensed Premises noise letter [24.5KB]


You can also contact Mediation who offer a free service.

If you have tried speaking or writing to those causing the noise and this has not worked, you should start keeping a record of when the noise occurs and how long it lasts using the nuisance log sheets below. We recommend gathering at least 3 weeks worth of evidence.

You can report the noise from a house or business to us, please Report it online

This is a legal process and will require good evidence of the noise you have been experiencing. You may also be required to attend court. You can also take you own legal action.

We cannot investigate complaints of noise from people in the street, day-to-day living noise, children playing, noisy vehicles or aircraft. If you are suffering from noise disturbance outside of office hours you can contact Thames Valley Police on their non-emergency number - 101, Always dial 999 if it is an emergency.

Icon for word Noise Diary [32.93KB]

Icon for pdf Nuisance Log Sheet [86.14KB]

Icon for pdf Nuisance Information Pack [234.29KB]